I don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or my SIN begins with a 9. What should I do?

The Social Insurance Number is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to federal government programs and benefits such as Job Bank. The SIN indicates that you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and are eligible to work in Canada.

If you don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you may apply for a SIN.

If your SIN begins with a 9, you will be unable to use it to create a user account with Job Bank. These SINs are issued to temporary workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. To access Job Match as part of your Express Entry application, you can consult the instruction guide on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Was this answer helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback.

Date modified: