Summary Undercutter Operator - Underground Mining near Thunder Bay (ON)
Find key facts and figures about working as an undercutter operator - underground mining. The following information is applicable to all Underground production and development miners (NOC 8231).
Underground production and development miners drill, blast, operate mining machinery, and perform related duties to extract coal and ore in underground mines and to construct tunnels, passageways and shafts to facilitate mining operations. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral underground mines and by specialized contractors in mine construction, shaft sinking and tunnelling.
College or apprenticeship
College education or apprenticeship training usually required
Median wage in the Northwest Region
The job prospects are fair in the Northwest Region
advertised in Ontario
- Set up and operate drills and drilling machines to produce a designated pattern of blasting holes
- Operate diamond drills or other specialized drills such as raise boring machinery to test geological formations or to produce underground passageways
- Set up and operate mining machinery to shear coal, rock or ore from the working face
- Load explosives, set fuses, and detonate explosives to produce desired blasting patterns and rock fragmentation in underground mines
- Operate scooptram, load-haul-dump (LHD) machine or mucking machine to load and haul ore from stopes, drifts and drawpoints to ore passes
- Date modified: