Summary Carpenter near Edmonton (AB)
Find key facts and figures about working as a carpenter. The following information is applicable to all Carpenters (NOC 72310).
Note: Some information in this job profile is based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
Carpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, and maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
College or apprenticeship
This occupation usually requires a college diploma (community college, institute of technology or CÉGEP), an apprenticeship training of 2 or more years, or experience working in a supervisory occupation.
Median wage in the Edmonton Region
The job prospects are limited in the Edmonton Region
advertised near Edmonton (AB)
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements
- Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools
- Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials
- Prepare tenders and quotations
- Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems
- Date modified: