Summary Registered Animal Health Technologist near Windsor (ON)
Find key facts and figures about working as a registered animal health technologist. The following information is applicable to all Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians (NOC 32104).
Note: Some information in this job profile is based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government. Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
College or apprenticeship
This occupation usually requires a college diploma (community college, institute of technology or CÉGEP), an apprenticeship training of 2 or more years, or experience working in a supervisory occupation.
Median wage in the Windsor-Sarnia Region
The job prospects are fair in the Windsor-Sarnia Region
advertised in Ontario
- Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery
- Assist veterinarian before, during and after surgery
- Prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of veterinarian
- Administer treatments as prescribed by veterinarian
- Conduct specialized procedures on animals such as animal identification and hoof trimming
- Date modified: