Summary Mental Health Counsellor in Canada
Find key facts and figures about working as a mental health counsellor. The following information is applicable to all Family, marriage and other related counsellors (NOC 4153).
Family, marriage and other related counsellors assist individuals and groups of clients to identify, understand and overcome personal problems and achieve personal objectives. They are employed by counselling centres, social service agencies, group homes, government agencies, family therapy centres, and health care and rehabilitation facilities, or they may work in private practice.
University education usually required
Median wage in Canada
The job prospects vary across Canada depending on the province or territory.
advertised in Canada
- Interview clients, prepare case histories and assess problems
- Develop and implement counselling and intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and means of attaining them
- Counsel clients, provide therapy and mediation services, and facilitate group sessions
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and interventions, and clients' progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward defined objectives
- Follow up results of counselling programs and clients' adjustment
- Date modified: