Skills Medical Laboratory Technologist in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "medical laboratory technologist" was moved from the group Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 3211) to the group Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 32120).
Find out what skills you typically need to work as a medical laboratory technologist in Canada. These skills are applicable to all Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 32120).
- Conduct chemical analyses of blood, urine and other body fluids
- Study blood cells and other tissues
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations
- Establish procedures for analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments
- Train and supervise staff
- Perform blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- Conduct quality control assessment of testing techniques
- Set up medical laboratory equipment
Skills and Knowledge Checklist
The following skills and knowledge are usually required in this occupation.
- Date modified: