Skills Hairstylist Apprentice near Vancouver (BC)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "hairstylist apprentice" was moved from the group Hairstylists and barbers (NOC 6341) to the group Hairstylists and barbers (NOC 63210).
Find out what skills you typically need to work as a hairstylist apprentice in Canada. These skills are applicable to all Hairstylists and barbers (NOC 63210).
- Book appointments
- Cut and trim hair according to client's instructions or preferences
- Shampoo customers' hair
- Shave and trim beards and mustaches
- Provide other hair treatment, such as waving, straightening and tinting and also provide scalp conditioning massages
- Supervise other hair stylists and other staff
- Supervise apprentices/students in training
- Analyze hair and scalp condition and provide basic treatment or advice on beauty care treatments for scalp and hair
- Apply bleach, tints, dyes or rinses to colour, frost or streak hair
- Apply hair extensions
- Clean and style wigs and hair pieces
- Cut, trim, taper, curl, wave, perm and style hair
- Judge in competitions
- Suggest hair style compatible with client's physical features or determine style from client's instructions and preferences
- Perform receptionist duties
- Maintain and order supplies
Skills and Knowledge Checklist
The following skills and knowledge are usually required in this occupation.
- Date modified: