Job requirements Session Musician in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a session musician in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Musicians and singers (NOC 51122).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Musical training from a university or college or through private instruction is usually required.
  • Members of orchestras and other professional classical musicians and singers usually require a university degree in music.
  • Musical talent and ability, as demonstrated during an audition, are important hiring criteria.
  • Membership in a guild or union related to the occupation or type of performance may be required.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Manitoba Registered Music Teacher Regulated Manitoba Registered Music Teachers' Association
Nova Scotia Registered Music Teacher Regulated Nova Scotia Registered Music Teacher's Association
Saskatchewan Musicians And Singers (Registered Music Teachers) Regulated Saskatchewan Registered Music Teachers' Association

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: