Job requirements Ironworker near Kitchener (ON)

Find out what you typically need to work as an ironworker near Kitchener (ON). These requirements are applicable to all Ironworkers (NOC 72105).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school is usually required.
  • Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or over three years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in ironworking are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
  • Trade certification for ironworker (generalist) is compulsory in Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba and British Columbia.
  • Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified ironworkers upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing


You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.

Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Job title Reinforcing Roadworker
Regulatory body: Ontario College of Trades
Job title Precast Concrete Erector
Regulatory body: Ontario College of Trades
Job title Ironworker (structural/ornamental)
Regulatory body: Ontario College of Trades
Job title Ironworker Generalist
Regulatory body: Ontario College of Trades

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Find out where this occupation is regulated in Canada

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: