Job requirements Cook near Thunder Bay (ON)
Find out what you typically need to work as a cook near Thunder Bay (ON). These requirements are applicable to all Cooks (NOC 6322).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks or Completion of college or other program in cooking or Several years of commercial cooking experience are required.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified cooks upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
|Location||Job title||Regulation||Regulatory body|
|Canada||Ship’s Cook||Regulated (voluntary)||Transport Canada, Government of Canada|
|Ontario||Assistant Cook||Regulated (voluntary)||Ontario College of Trades|
|Cook||Regulated (voluntary)||Ontario College of Trades|
|Institutional Cook||Regulated (voluntary)||Ontario College of Trades|
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: