Job requirements Illustrator And Graphic Designer near Edmonton (AB)
Find out what you typically need to work as an illustrator and graphic designer near Edmonton (AB). These requirements are applicable to all Graphic designers and illustrators (NOC 5241).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- A university degree in visual arts with specialization in graphic design, commercial art, graphic communications or cartooning or Completion of a college diploma program in graphic arts is required.
- Experience or training in multimedia design at a post-secondary, college or technical institution may be required.
- In addition to the arts, training in biology, engineering, architecture or a scientific field is usually required for medical, technical and scientific illustrators.
- Creative ability and artistic talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required for graphic designers and illustrators.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: