Job requirements Employment Counsellor near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what you typically need to work as an employment counsellor near Vancouver (BC). These requirements are applicable to all Employment counsellors (NOC 4156).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- A bachelor's degree or college diploma in employment counselling, career development or in a related field, such as human resources development, psychology, education or social services is required.
- A master's degree in counselling psychology or a related field such as educational psychology, developmental psychology or social work may be required.
- In Quebec, membership in a professional association is mandatory to use the title ''counsellor''.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: