Job requirements Medical Laboratory Technologist in Canada
Find out what you typically need to work as a medical laboratory technologist in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 32120).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- A two- or three-year college program in medical laboratory technology is required and a period of supervised practical training may be required.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Certification by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science is usually required by employers.
- Combined laboratory and X-ray technicians require completion of a combined laboratory X-ray technology program.
- Some employers may require a university science degree for specialized medical laboratory technologists.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: