Job requirements Medical Laboratory Technologist in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a medical laboratory technologist in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 32120).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • A two- or three-year college program in medical laboratory technology is required and a period of supervised practical training may be required.
  • Registration with a regulatory body is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
  • Certification by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science is usually required by employers.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Combined Laboratory And X-Ray Technologists Regulated Alberta College of Combined Laboratory and X-Ray Technicians/Technologists (ACCMLXT)
Medical Laboratory Technologists (MLT) Regulated College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Alberta (CMLTA)
Manitoba Medical Laboratory Technologist Regulated College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Manitoba
New Brunswick Medical Laboratory Technologist Regulated New Brunswick Society of Medical Laboratory Technologists (NBSMLT)
Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Laboratory Technologist Regulated Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals
Nova Scotia Medical Laboratory Technologist Regulated Nova Scotia College of Medical Laboratory Technologists
Ontario Medical Laboratory Technologist Regulated College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario
Québec Medical Technologist Regulated Ordre professionnel des technologistes médicaux du Québec

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: