Job requirements Metallurgical Engineering Technologist near Canmore (AB)

National Occupational Classification update

We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "metallurgical engineering technologist" was moved from the group Geological and mineral technologists and technicians (NOC 2212) to the group Geological and mineral technologists and technicians (NOC 22101).

Find out what you typically need to work as a metallurgical engineering technologist near Canmore (AB). These requirements are applicable to all Geological and mineral technologists and technicians (NOC 22101).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Geological and mineral technologists usually require completion of a two- to three-year college program in geological technology, petroleum technology, petroleum engineering technology, hydrogeology or groundwater technology, mining technology, mining engineering technology, mineralogy, metallurgical technology, or welding technology.
  • Geophysics technologists usually require completion of a two- to three-year college program in electronics technology.
  • Geological and mineral technicians usually require completion of a one- to two-year college program in a related field.
  • Certification in geological and mineral technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required by employers.
  • In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title Professional Technologist.
  • A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.

Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Field Heat Treatment Technician Regulated (voluntary) Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training
Professional Technologist (geoscience) Regulated (voluntary) Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals (ASET)

Find out where this occupation is regulated in Canada

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: