Job requirements Fish Cutter - Retail And Wholesale in Ontario

Find out what you typically need to work as a fish cutter - retail and wholesale in Ontario. These requirements are applicable to all Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesale (NOC 65202).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school may be required.
  • On-the-job training in food stores is usually offered to meat cutters and fishmongers for retail sale.
  • An apprenticeship program in meat cutting is available but voluntary.
  • Trade certification for meat cutter is available, but voluntary, in Saskatchewan and British Columbia.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing


If this occupation is regulated, you may need to get a professional license from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.

Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Find out where this occupation is regulated in Canada

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: