Job requirements Registered Animal Health Technologist in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a registered animal health technologist in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians (NOC 32104).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of a two- or three-year animal health/veterinary technology college program is required.
  • Registration with provincial animal health technologists' or veterinary technicians' associations is available, and is mandatory in some provinces.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Veterinary Technologists Regulated Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
British Columbia Veterinary Technologist Regulated BC Veterinary Technologists Association
Manitoba Animal Health Technologist Regulated Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association
Ontario Registered Veterinary Technician Regulated Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians
Saskatchewan Veterinary Technologist Regulated Saskatchewan Association of Veterinary Technologists

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: