Job requirements Insulator in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as an insulator in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Insulators (NOC 7293).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school is usually required.
  • Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in insulating is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
  • Trade certification for insulators (heat and frost) is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
  • Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified insulators (heat and frost) upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship and Industry Training Office, Government of Alberta
British Columbia Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Industry Training Authority British Columbia
Manitoba Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship Manitoba
New Brunswick Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification, Government of New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship and Trades Certification Division, Departmant of Advanced Education and Skills of Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship and Trades, Government of the Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency
Nunavut Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship, Trade and Occupations Certification, Government of Nunavut
Ontario Exterior Insulated Finish Systems Mechanic Regulated Ontario College of Trades
Heat And Frost Insulator Regulated Ontario College of Trades
Prince Edward Island Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship Training and Skilled Trade Certification, Government of Prince Edward Island
Québec Insulator Regulated Commission de la Construction du Québec
Saskatchewan Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission
Yukon Insulator (heat And Frost) Regulated Apprenticeship and Tradesperson Qualifications, Yukon Education

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: