Job prospects Ironworker near Kitchener (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Ironworkers near Kitchener (ON). These trends also apply to people working as an ironworker.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2019-2021). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be fair for Ironworkers (NOC 7236) in the Kitchener - Waterloo - Barrie region for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
Over the forecast period, investments in infrastructure and public facilities, office buildings, and manufacturing plants will support construction activity across the region. Construction is also underway on the expansion of the Barrie GO Transit rail corridor. Population growth and the construction of several multi-unit developments will lead to steady housing demands and residential activity.
Here are some key facts about Ironworkers in the Kitchener - Waterloo - Barrie region:
- Approximately 400 people work in this occupation.
- Ironworkers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Construction (NAICS 23): 73%
- Fabricated metal product manufacturing (NAICS 332): 8%
- Other services (except public administration) (NAICS 81): 5%
To view this data on a map, go to: LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
- Date modified: