Job prospects Mechanical Engineering Design Technologist near Edmonton (AB)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "mechanical engineering design technologist" was moved from the group Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 2232) to the group Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 22301).
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians" near Edmonton (AB) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note that these outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the NOC. Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2019-2021). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
Source Labour Market Information | Recent Trends Assessment Methodology
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be good for Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 2232) in the Edmonton region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians in the Edmonton region:
- Approximately 670 people worked in this occupation in May 2016.
- Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 32%
- Oil and gas extraction (NAICS 211, 213): 9%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 9%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 6%
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (NAICS 339): 5%
Source Labour Market Information | Prospects Methodology
Labour market conditions over the next 10 yearsExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: