Job prospects Chemist in Québec
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as a "chemist" in Québec or Canada.
Job opportunities in Québec
Note: These outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Learn more about our methodology.
Prospects over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be good for Chemists (NOC 2112) in Quebec for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Chemists in Quebec:
- Approximately 3,750 people work in this occupation.
- Chemists mainly work in the following sectors:
- Chemical manufacturing (NAICS 325): 26%
- Other professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 5414, 5416-5419): 20%
- Hospitals (NAICS 622): 7%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 6%
- 71% of chemists work all year, while 28% work only part of the year, compared to 57% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 36 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- less than 5% of chemists are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
- The gender distribution of people in this occupation is:
- Men: 56% compared to 52% for all occupations
- Women: 43% compared to 48% for all occupations
- The educational attainment of workers in this occupation is:
- no high school diploma: less than 5% compared to 12% for all occupations
- high school diploma or equivalent: less than 5% compared to 20% for all occupations
- apprenticeship or trades certificate or diploma: less than 5% compared to 19% for all occupations
- college certificate or diploma or university certificate below bachelor's: 8% compared to 24% for all occupations
- bachelor's degree: 35% compared to 16% for all occupations
- university certificate, degree or diploma above bachelor level: 55% compared to 9% for all occupations
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as a "chemist" Chemists (NOC 21101) or Canada.
- Date modified: