Job prospects Chemist in Alberta
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as a "chemist" in Alberta or Canada.
Job opportunities in Alberta
Prospects over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be moderate for Chemists (NOC 21101) in Alberta for the 2023-2025 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of some positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Chemists in Alberta:
- Approximately 1,650 people worked in this occupation in May 2021.
- Chemists mainly work in the following sectors:
- Architectural, engineering and design services (NAICS 5413): 20%
- Chemical manufacturing (NAICS 325): 15%
- Other professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 5414, 5416-5419): 13%
- Oil and gas extraction (NAICS 211): 8%
- Universities (NAICS 6113): 7%
- 77% of chemists work all year, while 23% work only part of the year, compared to 61% and 39% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 46 weeks compared to 42 weeks for all occupations.
- Less than 5% of chemists are self-employed compared to an average of 15% for all occupations.
- The gender distribution of people in this occupation is:
- Men: 60% compared to 53% for all occupations
- Women: 40% compared to 47% for all occupations
- The educational attainment of workers in this occupation is:
- no high school diploma: n/a
- high school diploma or equivalent: n/a
- apprenticeship or trades certificate or diploma: n/a
- college certificate or diploma or university certificate below bachelor's: less than 5% compared to 19% for all occupations
- bachelor's degree: 44% compared to 21% for all occupations
- university certificate, degree or diploma above bachelor level: 52% compared to 9% for all occupations
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Alberta by economic region.
|Athabasca–Grande Prairie–Peace River Region|
|Banff–Jasper–Rocky Mountain House Region|
|Lethbridge–Medicine Hat Region|
|Red Deer Region|
|Wood Buffalo–Cold Lake Region|
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as a "chemist" Chemists (NOC 21101) or Canada.
- Date modified: