Job prospects Secondary School Teacher in British Columbia
Job opportunities for Secondary school teachers (NOC 4031) are good in British Columbia over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a secondary school teacher.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Job opportunities in British Columbia
The employment outlook will be good for Secondary school teachers (NOC 4031) in British Columbia for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Employment in education continues to adapt to changing market conditions brought on by the pandemic. Many employees are expected to retire in the coming years.
Here are some key facts about Secondary school teachers in the British Columbia region:
- Approximately 16,150 people work in this occupation.
- Secondary school teachers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Elementary and secondary schools (NAICS 6111):more than 95%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 83% compared to 77% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 17% compared to 23% for all occupations
- 66% of secondary school teachers work all year, while 34% work only part of the year, compared to 57% and 43% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 34 weeks compared to 32 weeks for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in British Columbia by economic region.
|Cariboo Region||Good Good|
|Kootenay Region||Good Good|
|Lower Mainland–Southwest Region||Good Good|
|Nechako Region||Good Good|
|North Coast Region||Good Good|
|Northeast Region||Good Good|
|Thompson–Okanagan Region||Good Good|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||Good Good|
To view this data on a map, go to: LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Secondary school teachers (NOC 4031) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: