Job description Fishing Vessel Deckhand near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what work is like for a fishing vessel deckhand in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Fishing vessel deckhands (NOC 8441).
Fishing vessel deckhands
Fishing vessel deckhands perform a variety of manual tasks on commercial fishing voyages, and maintain fishing vessels. They are employed by establishments that operate commercial fishing vessels and by self-employed fishermen/women.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare nets, lines and other fishing tackle, and operate fishing gear to catch fish and other marine life
- Sort, return protected species to the water, clean and pack fish in ice and stow catch in hold
- Repair nets, splice ropes and maintain fishing gear and other deck equipment
- Clean deck surfaces and fish hold
- Handle anchors and mooring lines during docking and undocking procedures
- May steer vessels to and from fishing areas
- May prepare and cook meals for crew members.
- deckhand, seiner
- icer, fishing vessel
- crewman/woman, fishing vessel
- fishing vessel deckhand
- netmender, fishing vessel
- Date modified: