Job description Technical Director - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts near Toronto (ON)
Find out what work is like for a technical director - motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations (NOC 5131).
Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
Producers, directors, choreographers and professionals in related occupations oversee and control the technical and artistic aspects of film, television, video game, radio, dance and theatre productions. They are employed by film production companies, radio and television stations, video game companies, broadcast departments, advertising companies, sound recording studios, record production companies and dance companies. They may also be self-employed.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Film, radio, television and video game producers
- Plan, organize and control the various stages and scheduling involved in the production of presentations, motion pictures, television shows and radio programs; engage directors and other production personnel and supervise all technical personnel, and determine the treatment, scope and scheduling of production; maintain production archives, negotiate royalties, and may plan and control the budget pertaining to a particular production.
- Interpret scripts and direct the mise-en-scène; select and direct the actors, extras and technical crew; advise the cast and crew on the interpretation and delivery of the performance; direct rehearsals, filmings, broadcasts and performances; and confer with crew and specialists throughout production and post-production to achieve desired presentation.
- Create dances for film, theatre and television performances that convey stories, ideas and moods, and direct rehearsals for dancers to achieve desired interpretation.
- Art directors
- Plan, organize and direct the artistic aspects of motion pictures, video games, stage productions and television shows by overseeing the design of sets, costumes, furnishings and props to create portrayals of period and setting.
- Film editors
- Edit motion picture film and arrange film segments into sequences to achieve continuity and desired dramatic, comedic and thematic effects.
- Record producers
- Plan and co-ordinate the production of musical recordings, direct musicians and singers during rehearsals and recordings and manage technicians involved in duplicating, dubbing and mastering of recordings.
- Directors of photography
- Co-ordinate and direct the photography of motion pictures, supervise camera operators and other crews and determine lighting, lenses, camera angles, backgrounds and other elements to achieve desired visual effect.
- artistic director - motion picture
- director - motion picture
- producer - performing arts
- technical director - broadcasting
- director of photography
- radio producer
- stage director - performing arts
- television producer
- film editor
- record producer
- multimedia audio producer
- Date modified: