Job description Apprentice Industrial Painter And Decorator near Saanich (BC)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "apprentice industrial painter and decorator" was moved from the group Painters and decorators (except interior decorators) (NOC 7294) to the group Painters and decorators (except interior decorators) (NOC 73112).
Find out what work is like for an apprentice industrial painter and decorator in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Painters and decorators (except interior decorators) (NOC 73112).
Painters and decorators (except interior decorators)
Painters and decorators apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- May advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
- construction painter
- maintenance painter
- painter and decorator
- painter and decorator apprentice
- Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
- Interior designers and interior decorators
- Industrial painters, coaters and metal finishing process operators
- Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
- Auto body collision, refinishing and glass technicians and damage repair estimators
- Date modified: