Job description Concrete Finisher in Ontario
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "concrete finisher" was moved from the group Concrete finishers (NOC 7282) to the group Concrete finishers (NOC 73100).
Find out what work is like for a concrete finisher in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Concrete finishers (NOC 73100).
Concrete finishers smooth and finish freshly poured concrete, apply curing or surface treatments and install, maintain and restore various masonry structures such as foundations, floors, ceilings, sidewalks, roads, patios and highrise buildings. They are employed by construction companies, cement and concrete contractors and manufacturers of precast concrete products, or they may be self-employed. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Check formwork, granular base and steel reinforcement materials and direct placement of concrete into forms or onto surfaces according to grade
- Fill hollows and remove high spots to smooth freshly poured concrete
- Operate power vibrator to compact concrete
- Level top surface of concrete according to grade and depth specifications using straightedge or float
- Impart desired finish to concrete surfaces using hand and power tools
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures in freshly poured concrete
- Apply hardening and sealing compounds to cure surface of concrete
- Waterproof, damp-proof and restore concrete surfaces
- Repair, resurface and replace worn or damaged sections of floors, walls, roads and other concrete structures.
- cement finisher apprentice
- cement mason
- concrete finisher
- concrete mason
- precast concrete finisher
- Concrete, clay and stone forming operators
- Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
- Date modified: