Job description Carpenter near Edmonton (AB)
Find out what work is like for a carpenter in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Carpenters (NOC 7271).
Carpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, and maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements
- Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools
- Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials
- Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems
- Fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware
- Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments
- Supervise apprentices and other construction workers
- May prepare cost estimates for clients.
- stair builder-carpenter
- apprentice carpenter
- maintenance carpenter
- renovation carpenter
- rough carpenter
- finish carpenter
- journeyman/woman carpenter
- metal framer - carpentry
- Date modified: