Job description Employment Counsellor near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what work is like for an employment counsellor in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Employment counsellors (NOC 4156).
Employment counsellors provide assistance and information to job seeker clients on all aspects of employment search and career planning. They also provide advice and information to employer clients regarding employment issues and human resources. They are employed by human resource departments of establishments, employment service organizations, consulting firms, correctional facilities and by federal and provincial governments. Supervisors of employment counsellors are included in this unit group.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Interview clients to obtain employment history, educational background and career goals
- Identify barriers to employment and assist clients with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing résumés and preparing for job interviews
- Assess need for assistance such as rehabilitation, financial aid or further training and refer clients to the appropriate services
- Provide established workers with information and strategies for maintaining a job or moving within an organization, dealing with job dissatisfaction, making mid-career changes and adjusting to workplace transitions
- Collect labour market information for clients regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements and other occupational information
- Advise employers on human resource and other employment-related issues
- Provide consulting services to community groups and agencies, businesses, industry and other organizations involved in providing community-based career planning support or resources
- May administer and interpret tests designed to determine the interests, aptitudes and abilities of clients.
- career counsellor (except education)
- employment counsellor
- career development counsellor
- outplacement counsellor
- relocation counsellor
- relocation consultant
- Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officers
- Family, marriage and other related counsellors
- Instructors of persons with disabilities
- Human resources and recruitment officers
- Educational counsellors
- Date modified: