Job description Medical Laboratory Technical Assistant in Canada
Find out what work is like for a medical laboratory technical assistant in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants (NOC 33101).
Medical laboratory assistants and related technical occupations
Medical laboratory assistants and workers in related technical occupations perform pre-analysis and pre-testing tasks such as collecting blood and other samples, processing specimens, and preparing special chemicals called reagents for use in testing. They conduct routine medical laboratory tests and set up, clean and maintain medical laboratory equipment. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, clinics, research facilities, post-secondary educational institutions and government research laboratories.
- Collect, label, sort and prepare blood, tissue and other samples from patients
- Log and validate patient samples and prepare them for testing
- Set up medical laboratory equipment
- Prepare chemical reagents to be combined with biological samples for testing
- Conduct routine laboratory tests and sample analyses
- Perform quality assurance of testing techniques and record results
- Clean and maintain medical laboratory and medical laboratory equipment.
- medical laboratory aide
- medical laboratory assistant
- medical laboratory technician
- phlebotomy aide
- Medical laboratory technologists
- Biological technologists and technicians
- Chemical technologists and technicians
- Date modified: