Job description Medical Laboratory Technologist in Manitoba
Find out what work is like for a medical laboratory technologist in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 3211).
Medical laboratory technologists
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, blood banks, community and private clinics, research facilities and post-secondary educational institutions. Medical laboratory technologists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Set up, operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Conduct and interpret chemical analyses of blood, urine, and cerebrospinal and other body fluids
- Study blood cells and other tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations using techniques to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics
- Perform and interpret blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- Establish procedures for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments
- Conduct quality control assessment of testing techniques
- May supervise and train other medical laboratory technical staff, students and helpers
- May assist pathologists during autopsies.
- Medical laboratory technologists may specialize in areas such as clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, hematology, histotechnology, immunohematology, cytotechnology and cytogenetics.
- cytogenetics technologist - medical laboratory
- medical laboratory supervisor
- histology technologist
- immunohematology technologist
- medical technologist - medical laboratory
- clinical immunology technologist
- medical laboratory technologist
- Chemical technologists and technicians
- Biological technologists and technicians
- Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
- Date modified: