Job description Veterinarian near Lethbridge (AB)
Find out what work is like for a veterinarian in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Veterinarians (NOC 3114).
Veterinarians prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and disorders in animals and advise clients on the feeding, hygiene, housing and general care of animals. They work in private practice or may be employed by animal clinics, farms, laboratories, government or industry.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Diagnose diseases or abnormal conditions in individual animals, herds and flocks through physical examinations or laboratory tests
- Treat sick or injured animals by prescribing medication, setting bones, dressing wounds or performing surgery
- Vaccinate animals to prevent and treat diseases
- Perform routine, emergency and post-mortem examinations
- Advise clients on feeding, housing, behaviour, breeding, hygiene and general care of animals
- Provide a range of veterinary services including obstetrics, dentistry and euthanasia
- May supervise animal health technologists and animal care workers
- May be responsible for overall operation of animal hospital, clinic or mobile service to farms
- May conduct veterinary research related to areas such as animal nutrition, health care products development and disease prevention and control
- May enforce government regulations in disease control and food production including animal or animal-based food inspection.
- veterinary surgeon
- farm veterinarian
- veterinary inspector
- veterinary pathologist
- veterinary physiologist
- small animal veterinary specialist
- zoo veterinarian
- Date modified: