Job description Mechanical Engineering Design Technologist near Edmonton (AB)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "mechanical engineering design technologist" was moved from the group Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 2232) to the group Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 22301).
Find out what work is like for a mechanical engineering design technologist in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 22301).
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in mechanical engineering fields such as the design, development, maintenance and testing of machines, components, tools, heating and ventilating systems, geothermal power plants, power generation and power conversion plants, manufacturing plants and equipment. They are employed by consulting engineering, manufacturing and processing companies, institutions and government departments.
- Mechanical engineering technologists
- Prepare and interpret conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for machines and components, power transmission systems, process piping, heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems
- Prepare cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Conduct tests and analyses of machines, components and materials to determine their performance, strength, response to stress and other characteristics
- Design moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Inspect mechanical installations and construction
- Prepare contract and tender documents
- Supervise, monitor and inspect mechanical installations and construction projects
- Prepare standards and schedules and supervise mechanical maintenance programs or operations of mechanical plants.
- Mechanical engineering technicians
- Assist in preparing conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings and specifications
- Carry out a limited range of mechanical tests and analyses of machines, components and materials
- Assist in the design of moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Assist in inspection of mechanical installations and construction projects
- Participate in the installation, repair and maintenance of machinery and equipment.
- aeronautical technologist
- heating designer
- heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) technologist
- machine designer
- marine engineering technologist
- mechanical engineering technician
- mechanical engineering technologist
- mechanical technologist
- mould designer
- thermal station technician
- tool and die designer
- tool designer
- Managers in manufacturing and utilities (9001)
- Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade
- Industrial designers
- Drafting technologists and technicians
- Date modified: