Job description Registered Animal Health Technologist in Canada
Find out what work is like for a registered animal health technologist in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians (NOC 32104).
Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians
Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government. Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- Provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals
- Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery
- Produce radiographs, collect and analyse samples and perform other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems
- Assist veterinarian with animals before, during and following surgery by preparing surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anaesthetics and cleaning up after surgery
- Prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of a veterinarian
- Administer treatments as prescribed by a veterinarian
- Provide wound and bandage care
- Conduct specialized procedures such as animal identification and hoof trimming
- Educate and advise clients on animal health care including nutrition and home care
- Assist in laboratory research
- Perform routine animal dental procedures and assist veterinarians with animal dentistry
- May perform a variety of office management and clerical duties.
- animal health technician
- animal health technologist
- laboratory animal technician
- registered veterinary technician (RVT)
- veterinarian assistant
- veterinary technician
- veterinary technologist
- Date modified: