Job description General Manager - Goods Production, Utilities, Transportation And Construction near Edmonton (AB)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "general manager - goods production, utilities, transportation and construction" was moved from the group Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities (NOC 0016) to the group Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities (NOC 00015).
Find out what work is like for a general manager - goods production, utilities, transportation and construction in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities (NOC 00015).
Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities
Senior managers in construction, transportation, production and utilities plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through middle managers, the overall operations of goods production, utility, transportation and construction companies. They formulate policies which establish the direction to be taken by these companies, either alone or in conjunction with other members of a board of directors. They work in establishments throughout the following industries: fishing, forestry, logging and agriculture; mining, oil and gas extraction; construction; transportation and warehousing; printing; manufacturing; and utilities or they may own and operate their own business.
- Establish objectives for the company and formulate or approve policies and programs
- Authorize and organize the establishment of major departments and associated senior staff positions
- Allocate material, human and financial resources to implement company policies and programs; establish financial and administrative controls; formulate and approve promotional campaigns; and approve overall personnel planning
- Select middle managers, directors or other executive staff
- Coordinate the work of regions, divisions or departments
- Represent the company, or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the company, in negotiations or other official functions.
- chief executive officer (CEO) - manufacturing company
- chief financial officer (CFO) - urban transit system
- executive vice-president - railway
- finance vice-president - mining company
- logging company corporate controller
- marketing vice-president - airline
- operations vice-president - electric power company
- petroleum production company regional vice-president
- publishing house general manager
- residential construction company president
- trucking company general manager
- Managers in manufacturing and utilities (9001)
- Managers in construction and facility operation and maintenance (7001)
- Managers in natural resources production and fishing
- Date modified: