Job description Garment Repair Seamstress in British Columbia
Find out what work is like for a garment repair seamstress in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners (NOC 64200).
Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners
Tailors, dressmakers and furriers make, alter and repair tailored clothing, dresses, coats and other made-to-measure garments. Milliners make, alter and repair hats. This unit group also includes alterationists who fit, alter and repair garments. They are employed by clothing retailers, clothing alteration shops, dry cleaners and garment manufacturing companies or they may be self-employed.
- Tailors, dressmakers and alterationists
- Make made-to-measure garments, such as suits and coats according to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications and fit
- Design, select and/or modify commercial patterns to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications
- Mark, cut and sew fabric
- Fit, alter and repair garments according to customers' requests by hand or using sewing machines.
- Make, alter, restyle and repair natural fur garments and accessories.
- Design, lay out, cut, sew and press fabric, leather and other materials into hats and related accessories.
- alterations dressmaker
- custom furrier
- custom tailor
- garment alterationist
- Date modified: