Job description Inspector, Machining And Tooling near Drummondville (QC)
Find out what work is like for an inspector, machining and tooling in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors (NOC 7231).
Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
Machinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Machining and tooling inspectors inspect machined parts and tooling in order to maintain quality control standards. They are employed by machinery, equipment, motor vehicle, automotive parts, aircraft and other metal products manufacturing companies and by machine shops.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, blueprints, charts and tables or study sample parts to determine machining operation to be performed, and plan best sequence of operations
- Compute dimensions and tolerances and measure and lay out work pieces
- Set up, operate and maintain a variety of machine tools including computer numerically controlled (CNC) tools to perform precision, non-repetitive machining operations such as sawing, turning, milling, boring, planing, drilling, precision grinding and other operations
- Fit and assemble machined metal parts and subassemblies using hand and power tools
- Verify dimensions of products for accuracy and conformance to specifications using precision measuring instruments
- May set up and program machine tools for use by machining tool operators.
- Machining and tooling inspectors
- Verify dimensions of machined parts or tooling using micrometers, verniers, callipers, height gauges, optical comparators, co-ordinate measuring machines (CMM) or other specialized measuring instruments
- Maintain, repair and calibrate precision measuring instruments such as dial indicators, fixed gauges, height gauges and other measuring devices
- Report deviations from specifications and tolerances to supervisor
- Complete and maintain inspection reports.
- automotive machinist
- general machinist
- machine shop inspector
- machining inspector
- machined parts inspector
- machinist apprentice
- tooling inspector
- aviation machinist
- Tool and die makers
- Machining tool operators
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
- Date modified: