Job description Support Services Assistant - Medical in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "support services assistant - medical" was moved from the group Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413) to the group Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 33102).
Find out what work is like for a support services assistant - medical in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 33102).
Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates assist nurses, hospital staff and physicians in the basic care of patients. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities for the elderly and other health care establishments. Emergency medical care attendant are employed by private ambulance services, urgent care centers or other health facilities.
- Answer call signals; supply and empty bed pans; bathe, dress and groom patients; serve meal trays, feed or assist in feeding of patients and assist patients with menu selection; weigh, lift, turn, and position patients; shave patients prior to operations; supervise patients' exercise routines, set up and provide leisure activities for patients, accompany patients on outside recreational activities and perform other duties related to patient care and comfort
- Take patients' blood pressure, temperature and pulse; report or record fluid intake and output; observe or monitor patients' status and document patient care on charts; collect specimens such as urine, faeces or sputum; administer suppositories, colonic irrigations and enemas and perform other procedures as directed by nursing and hospital staff
- Administer, in emergency situations, first aid to injured or ill individuals within the scope of competencies
- Transport patients by wheelchair or stretcher for treatment or surgery
- Carry messages, reports, requisitions and specimens between departments
- Make beds and maintain patients' rooms
- Maintain inventory of supplies
- May perform maintenance tasks such as assisting with the set-up and maintenance of traction equipment, cleaning or sterilizing equipment, maintaining and repairing equipment, and assembling, setting-up and operating job-related equipment
- May transport patients between care facilities.
- health care aide
- hospital attendant
- long term care aide
- nurse aide
- nursing attendant
- patient care aide
- patient service associate
- personal care attendant - medical
- psychiatric aide
- resident care aide - medical
- Paramedical occupations
- Licensed practical nurses
- Home support workers, caregivers and related occupations
- Other assisting occupations in support of health services
- Date modified: