Job description Shipper-receiver near Calgary (AB)
Find out what work is like for a shipper-receiver in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Shippers and receivers (NOC 1521).
Shippers and receivers
Shippers and receivers ship, receive and record the movement of parts, supplies, materials, equipment and stock to and from an establishment. They are employed in the public sector and by retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturing companies, and other commercial and industrial establishments.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Determine method of shipment and arrange shipping; prepare bills of lading, customs forms, invoices and other shipping documents manually or by computer
- Assemble containers and crates, record contents manually or by computer, pack goods to be shipped and affix identifying information and shipping instructions
- Oversee loading and unloading of goods from trucks or other conveyances
- Inspect and verify incoming goods against invoices or other documents, record shortages and reject damaged goods
- Unpack, code and route goods to appropriate storage areas
- Maintain internal, manual or computerized record-keeping systems
- May operate forklift, hand truck or other equipment to load, unload, transport and store goods.
- import freight clerk
- freight receiver
- freight shipper
- shipping agent
- shipping and receiving clerk
- supply chain assistant
- Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling co-ordination occupations
- Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks
- Purchasing and inventory control workers
- Material handlers
- Storekeepers and partspersons
- Date modified: